The poppy mens troll costumes and troll wigs became an instant success following the Trolls movie release in 2016. Many of the Trolls' movie characters look so colorful and cuddly that it was too difficult not to be amused by them. Not only the children but the adults also went nuts and couldn't stop talking about these costumes.
As expected, these costumes become a common sight in every cosplay event or during the Halloween festival after the movie release. You wouldn't find any cosplay party or event where there are no childrens wrapped in poppy troll costumes.
Besides, Poppy's kind, sweet, and happy nature makes her everyone's favorite Troll! She loves to sing and hug all her friends on the hour, every hour! These characteristics of Poppy also play a vital role in making her a popular character.
DIY: Mens Troll Costume & Troll Hair Wigs
Although it's been 5 years since the Trolls movie, the craziness about its costumes still prevails. Moreover, the latest movie in the Trolls franchise–Trolls World Tour, propelled the success of poppy troll costumes to the new level.
People– especially childrens, are still too fond of poppy costumes. And we are very much certain that this trend is not gonna fade any soon.
Therefore, we have decided to make a special blog on how to make poppy troll costumes and troll hair wigs at home. Of course, if you are low on time, you can buy it straight from the costumes websites or charity stores. But if you want to enjoy Halloween more thoroughly, we think DIY the poppy troll costume is not a bad idea!
We split the blogs into two parts. We explained how to make poppy troll costumes in the first section, and we discussed how to make troll wigs for adults in a later section.
But let us first understand what poppy costumes are before we jump to these sections.
What is Poppy Troll Costume?
There are many characters in the movie Trolls(2016), including Poppy, Branch, Bridget, Biggie, and Guy Diamond, among others. Queen Poppy is a pop troll queen and the lead actress, as well as the movie's female protagonist.
In the movie, Poppy primarily wore three looks: normal, baby, and royal attire.
As a baby, the poppy has small hair. She's not wearing any clothes, but she's wearing a green headband with a blue flower, which is very close to what she's got as she gets older.
Whereas, the regular Poppy look has a light pink skin complexion with rosy cheeks and glitter freckles. Her hair color is a darker pink and sticks up in the air naturally. She has a green headband with blue flowers, and she wears a purple and blue hug-time bracelet that opens up into a pink flower when it's hug time.
At the end of the movie, when Poppy is crowned queen of the trolls, she wears a crown made of green leaves of varied sizes.
Although each of these looks has slightly different costumes, the costumes' colours very much remain the same– pink and blue.
We hope that by now, you have a concrete idea of what poppy troll costumes are and why both children and adults love them.
In the next section, we have explained how to DIY poppy troll costumes at home step by step.
How to DIY Poppy Mens Troll Costumes at Home?
If you already know how to sew or have some on-hand experience of tailoring, this would be an effortless task for you. But even though you are doing this for the first time, there is nothing to worry about. Because DIY poppy troll costumes are a simple task. Just make sure that you follow the below-mentioned tips thoroughly.
Let's do this!
- Blue and light blue felt (depend on your kid's size)
- A sleeveless dress of the child
- Pink sweater and pink tights (for poppy skin)
- Sewing Kit
- Team Foam
- Large Cups
- Hot Glue gun
- Pencil and Ruler
- Measurement tape
- White chalk
Directions To DIY Poppy Mens Troll Costume at Home:
Step 1: Draw The Dress Shape on The Felt
- The first step is to draw the dress shape on the felt using white chalk. Bring out the pretty dress of your child and fold it in half lengthwise.
- Now fold the blue felt enough that the folded dress can get easily accommodated on it.
- Draw the dress shape on the felt.
Step 2: Draw The Shoulder Flap
- The next step is to draw the shoulder flap. A shoulder flap is a design that appears on the front side of the Poppy troll costume. To better understand the dress design, keep the picture of the poppy dress in front of you.
- You only have to extend one of the shoulders and give it a kind of drop shape.
Step 3: Cut Out The Pieces
- The next step in how to make a poppy troll costume guide is– cut the pieces. Slowly cut the pieces by running the scissor on the white borders that you made.
- Also, cut off the shoulder flap. Make sure you cut off the left shoulder flap if the felt is in front of you.
- This is the backside of the troll poppy costume.
Step 4: Repeat The Same Process Without Shoulder Flap
- Now repeat the same three steps, but this time you will not cut the shoulder flap.
- This will be the front side of your costume.
- It is recommended that you cut the neck a little more to make it more open and comfortable to wear.
- Now, place the light blue felt at the bottom of the front piece of the dress that you have cut.
- Make sure it remains less than the 1/4th part of dress' height and does not exceed.
Step 5: Design The Bottom of The Costume
- Now draw the shape of the dress on the light blue felt.
- Using the cups, make the wave design at the bottom of the dress.
- Cut the design and keep it aside.
Step 6: Add a Pattern
- Now, draw the design of drops on the light blue felt using the white chalk. Keep the one drop size larger than the other two similar drops.
- Cut those drops using scissors and use them to make a pattern.
- Once you have all the pieces, glue them or pin them on the blue felt to design a pattern and enhance the overall look.
- Note that you don't need to follow this design only. You can try other designs too.
Besides, you can also hand-sew the pattern to ensure it doesn't come out. But make sure you use the same color thread as blue felt to make sure it doesn't appear odd.
Step 7: Put the Front and Back Piece Together
- Stitch the flap and the side borders of the felt to make a perfect poppy troll costume.
- It is recommended that you follow the cross stitch for the shoulder flap.
See, we told you making poppy men's troll costumes at home is not at all challenging. In fact, it is one of the most effortless costume designs. All you need to care about is follow the above-mentioned steps religiously.
We can't imagine poppy costumes without the iconic poppy troll wigs. Right? Therefore, in the later section, we have also explained how to DIY poppy troll wigs at home. Check this out!
DIY: How to Make Poppy Troll Wigs at Home?
Below is the supply list for the Poppy troll wig.
- Thick Tulle Skirt
- Hot glue gun
- A piece of blue felt and light blue felt
Directions to Make Poppy Trolls Wigs at Home
- Use the pink tulle skirt and remove its waist elastic.
- Also, remove the side seam using the needle.
- Now pass the headband from one end of the elastic tunnel to another end.
- Stick the headband at the tunnel end using the hot glue gun.
- Separate the one tulle layer and bring it down towards the headband while keeping other tulle layers in the upward direction opposite to the headband.
- Cut that single layer of tulle into multiple vertical strips and tie them together at the middle.
- Cut one small strip of tulle and use it to bind the rest of the tulle layers to give it the shape of troll wigs.
- Combine all the tulle layers and bind them at little below the end.
- Now draw the same pattern on the light blue felt again that you have drawn for poppy mens troll costume. We recommended that you draw the petal design.
- Draw the same pattern on the blue felt as well.
- Cut all the pieces of the designs and stick one blue petal with one light blue petal in such a way that it looks like a flower.
- Using the hot glue gun, stick a light felt strip around the tulle, glue all these flowers to them, and make a beautiful design.
The troll wigs for adults are ready!!
Also, note that it is not necessary that you follow the same fabric and design the same pattern that we did. We chose felt because it’s cheap. You can try other fabrics too. Likewise, in place of petal design, you can try different designs too. Besides, you can also take ideas from your collection of troll wigs for Halloween.
Making poppy men's troll costumes and troll hair wigs at home is not at all difficult. You just have to be concentrated and clear about your needs. If you have experience in sewing or tailoring, the job will become more easy and more fun. You can also buy poppy troll costumes from our website.