Last-Minute Tips: How to Pick the Best Halloween Costumes 2022
Did you wait until the last minute and procrastinate your Halloween costume? It’s ok! Procrastination isn’t always a bad thing – research shows that our brains are faster and better at making decisions during the eleventh hour. We won’t tell you to do everything at the last minute, but if you haven’t decided on your Halloween costume yet, just know it's not too late!
Making The Choice
The clock is ticking! Brainstorm some ideas from your favorite TV shows, movies, celebrities, memes, and pop culture events. Don't look over the classics, either, like a devil Halloween costume, a fairy or even a pirate. Once you have some options, the final decision can be the hardest part. Throw them into a picker tool and it’ll choose for you!
If you want to go the DIY route, it’s not too late. Once you’ve decided on who (or what) you’re going to be, choose their top 1-3 most defining features. Do they have a unique hair color or style? A wand or weapon? What color or shape is their outfit/body? Lucky for you, we’re in the golden era of DIY where there’s a tutorial for nearly everything on Pinterest or YouTube.
If DIY is a little overwhelming, it’s also not too late to buy a costume from an in-person or online store. If you’re planning to shop in-person, it’s a good idea to call ahead and ask what’s still in stock, as many stores are picked through towards the end of the month. When it comes to online shopping, there’s certainly more options, but it can also feel like the wild west! Make sure to check delivery estimates, and only buy items that are in stock and ready to ship out.
Budget your time and your money – DIY may be cheaper financially, but costs more time. Similarly, store-bought is more expensive but it’s much easier. Note that if buying from a store, it may be worth it to budget for express delivery to ensure you get your items on time.
Here's a quick summary:
- Cool down and select a look. Pick your favorite TV or movie character to cosplay or use a costume generator
- Decide between DIY and store-bought – consider how much time and money you have in hand before Halloween.
- If DIY: narrow down a few key features of your costume and search Pinterest and Youtube for DIY tutorials.
- If store-bought: make sure to choose an in-stock item and, depending on how close you’re cutting it, choose express delivery.
- ❌ Stressing too much about your costume – just make a decision and have fun!
- ❌ Being unrealistic about budget or time constraints
- ❌ Not being conscious of shipping times and delays
We hope these tips and tricks helped. Happy Halloween!